- About Us
PSNS & IMF wins Safety Ashore award
Puget Sound Naval Shipyard and Intermediate Maintenance Facility (PSNS & IMF) was recently announced as the recipient of the Fiscal Year 2008 Secretary of the Navy Achievement in Safety Ashore award for the Large Industrial Activity category.
The award is presented annually for their quality in occupational safety and health programs. Recipients earn the right to fly the Secretary of the Navy’s safety flag for one year and also receive a commemorative plaque and congratulatory letter.
“I am incredibly proud of PSNS & IMF for this honor; we are indeed one team getting the job done, but also one team getting the job done safely,” said Capt. Mark Whitney, Commander, PSNS & IMF. “We will add this honor to the recent PSNS & IMF Bangor Site VPP Star Site Designation, the 2008 CNO Safety Award and PSNS & IMF Bremerton Site VPP recommendation for re-certification as a Star Site.”
Some of the events and activities contributing to the selection include:
• VPP Passport comprised of safety activities designed to engage and educate personnel in their safety, safety of those around them, and the VPP program.
• Issued 130 Safety Act Awards that recognized employees who went the extra step to identify hazards or correct unsafe situations to prevent injuries.
• Thirty-two shops and codes participated in the contest “Battle of the Safety Stars” answering safety and VPP questions. The competition finalized at the West Sound Safety and Health Expo.
• The second annual Star Site Health Walk and a summer time Health Walk.
• The Bangor site was approved by OSHA as a Star Site on Nov. 7, 2008.
• Various lean improvements such as cold cutting process for hull cuts.