- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
Connect with Us
Damaged electrical outlet caused house fire near Wildcat Lake last week
Three people were left homeless after a fire caused by a damaged wire from an electrical outlet destroyed a house near Wildcat Lake last week.
There were no injuries reported, but a dog died in the Feb. 3 blaze, officials said.
After investigations concluded Feb. 4, there was evidence of arching and overheating within an electrical outlet box located in the kitchen, said Kitsap County Fire Marshal David Lynam. The wiring had been previously damaged, he said Thursday.
"Anytime you have problems with electrical fixtures in your house, have them repaired promptly or quit using them," Lynam said, adding that house fires caused by electrical problems is not an unusual cause.
Central Kitsap Fire and Rescue firefighters were called to the approximately 25,000-square-foot house in the 9000 block of Holly Road at 11 a.m. and a second alarm was called about 10 minutes later after firefighters determined about 25 percent of the house had been engulfed in flames.
Firefighters first arrived on scene at 11:07 a.m., said Capt. Dave Tucker of Central Kitsap Fire and Rescue. The Bremerton Fire Department also assisted.
The fire destroyed about 90 percent of the house and took about 35 minutes to extinguish.