News

Rags caused garage fire in Silverdale last week

No one was injured from a Silverdale house fire April 15 that was caused spontaneously by stain-laden rags that were disposed in a garbage can in the garage by the homeowner.

The residents were inside their house at the time of the blaze and were informed of the fire when neighbors knocked on their door and notified them.

“All that material stays in the rag, when you stuff it in a garbage can, it can take off,” said Kitsap County Fire Marshal David Lynam. “We have several fires a year from that.”

Central Kitsap Fire and Rescue crews arrived on scene at the house in the 9000 block of Kimberly Place NW at 12:57 p.m. Homeowner Jim Griffith, 58, and his wife were babysitting their twograndchildren in the family room and were unaware of the fire at the opposite end of the house, Griffith said. They had no ideas on what the cause of the fire was, he said.

The carport had the most significant damage, Lt. Brock Shaffer said. There was no heavy damage in the main part of the house.

EMAIL NEWSLETTERS

Latest news, top stories, and community events,
delivered to your inbox.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the latest Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Sep 26 edition online now. Browse the archives.