Gun club trial pushed back to September
August 12, 2011 · 4:18 PM
The trial involving Kitsap Rifle and Revolver Club and Kitsap County, which was scheduled to begin Aug. 9 in Pierce County Superior Court, has been pushed to Sept. 19.
In September 2010, Kitsap County Prosecutor Russell Hauge filed the lawsuit against the Seabeck gun club for alleged nuisances after neighbors of the range lodged noise and safety complaints. About a month ago, the gun club also received a formal notice from CK Safe and Quiet, LLC — a group of residents — stating their intent to file a federal lawsuit against the club.
Neil Wachter, Kitsap County deputy prosecutor, filed a motion to seek a brief continuance because more time was needed to complete depositions before trial, he said. After formal mediation sessions between the two parties earlier this year, a settlement was unable to be reached.
“Asking for more time and delaying the start of the trial is a decision we don’t take lightly,” Wachter said. “We realize that a lot of people are interested in the outcome of this case.”
The two-week trial was first scheduled to begin in March.
Wachter said that it is unusual for discovery to be occurring “late in the game” for a civil trial but added that active litigation was put on hold while mediation to reach a resolution had occurred.
Marcus Carter, executive officer of the gun club, said they were disappointed that the trial date has been pushed back another month.
“We were prepped,” Carter said. “They want more time to try to get their case together.”