News

Two women sent to hospital following house fire

Two women were injured during a Sandy Road structure fire on Tuesday morning.

Firefighters rescued one of the women from the basement of the burning home in the 8600 block of Sandy Hill Road. The woman, in her mid 30s, was eventually airlifted to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle. The second woman had made it out of the home on her own, but suffered from smoke inhalation and was transported to Harrison Hospital.

Kitsap County Fire Marshal David Lynman has determined that the fire was caused by an unattended pan of grease in the basement kitchen. The woman who was rescued from the basement remained in critical condition at Harborview as of Wednesday morning.

Sandy Road was closed during the incident and parents dropping their children off at Brownsville Elementary were rerouted onto Illahee Road.

Ileana LiMarzi, who is a Central Kitsap Fire and Rescue spokesperson, said that upon arrival at the scene, firefighters observed heavy smoke coming from the single story, single-family home. Two residents were outside and it was confirmed that an adult woman was still inside in the basement. Firefighters entered through the back of the home and made their way into the basement. The smoke was heavy with approximately one foot of visibility when they found the woman, in her mid-30’s, unconscious on the floor. She was carried outside and CPR was performed before she was transported to Harrison Hospital in Silverdale where Airlift was waiting to take her to Seattle. Three dogs were also safely removed from the home.

There are a total of five people that live in the home, LiMarzi said. The two homeowners had already left for work at the time of the fire.

“It appears that the smoke detectors in the home were not working,” LiMarzi said. “Please make sure to check your detectors on a monthly basis and change the batteries twice a year.”

Central Kitsap Fire and Rescue has a free smoke alarm installation program for those in need and folks can call 360-447-3550 to make an appointment.

In addition to CKFR, the Bremerton Fire Department, Kitsap County Sheriff’s Office, Puget Sound Energy and the Red Cross were on scene.

 

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Read the Nov 28
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates