News

Brownsville woman dies after being rescued from home without fire detectors

A Brownsville woman who was rescued from the basement of her burning home by firefighters June 19 died two days later at Harborview Medical Center in Seattle.

Brandy Nelson, 34, died June 21, while surrounded by family members, according to whom?

Central Kitsap Fire and Rescue crews found Nelson unconscious in the basement of the single-story home in the 8600 block of Sandy Road. Firefighters say that the smoke in the basement was heavy with approximately one foot of visibility when they found Nelson. She was carried outside and CPR was performed before she was transported to Harrison Hospital in Silverdale where Airlift was waiting to take her to Seattle.

Two women made their way out of the home on their own, but one of them suffered smoke inhalation and was transported to Harrison Hospital and subsequently released. The two homeowners had already left for work when the fire started. Three pets were also rescued from the blaze.

Kitsap County Fire Marshal David Lynman determined that the fire was caused by an unattended pan of grease in the basement kitchen. But the fire remains under investigation, he said.

“The residence did not have working smoke alarms and it is unfortunate incidents such as this that serve as an important reminder to us all,” said CKFR spokesperson Ileana LiMarzi. “We urge everyone to check their smoke alarms on a monthly basis and to change the batteries twice a year.”

 

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Read the Dec 12
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates