No one hurt in East Bremerton duplex fire
By KEVAN MOORE
Central Kitsap Reporter Staff Writer
September 4, 2012 · 3:15 PM
An East Bremerton duplex suffered significant smoke damage last week during an early morning fire, but all of the occupants were able to escape safely.
Central Kitsap Fire and Rescue crews received a call about a structure fire in the 3000 block of Olympus Drive at about 1:26 a.m. Aug. 24. Ileana LiMarzi, a CKFR spokesperson, said it was originally reported as a patio fire, but upon arrival firefighters saw that the northern unit of the duplex was fully ablaze.
The fire moved from the patio into the first and second floors and the attic. A second alarm was called for additional units at approximately 1:35 am.
LiMarzi said that a 12-year-old girl in one unit was awoken by smoke coming through her bedroom window. When she looked outside she saw the fire and alerted the other people in her home.
The northern unit of the duplex suffered heavy fire damage throughout, LiMarzi said. The residents were out of town at the time of the blaze, but had five family members house-sitting. The two adults smelled smoke and as they were gathering their three children to evacuate they witnessed a large fire on the back patio. The southern unit has some smoke damage and Red Cross has been called to assist the occupants of both units.
The fire was out at 2 a.m. and the county fire marshal was called to investigate the balze. Units from Bremerton Fire Department and Navy Region Northwest also responded.
LiMarzi said that the duplex had working smoke alarms.
“We urge everyone to make sure they have properly working smoke alarms,” she added. “Check alarms monthly and change the batteries twice a year.”
Central Kitsap Fire and Rescue offers free smoke alarms and installation. Those that are interested can call 360-447-3603 for more information.
Contact Central Kitsap Reporter Staff Writer Kevan Moore at email@example.com.