News

Score a touchdown for Mom, BHS football ?

New uniforms were washed by Booster Dads Kevin Beliveau and Tim Calnan after the first game of the season.  - Courtesy photo
New uniforms were washed by Booster Dads Kevin Beliveau and Tim Calnan after the first game of the season.
— image credit: Courtesy photo

Hoping, among others, to put new uniforms on the backs of junior varsity and “C” team football players, fund summer camps and provide helmet inspection and refurbishing, the Bremerton Football Booster Club (BFBC) recently launched its latest fund-raising campaign, “Mother’s Day Fuchsia’s for Football,” running through May 10.

“This is one of several fund-raisers we do during the year,” BFBC President Dave Boynton said of the Mother’s Day campaign, organized to help fund football-related costs the school’s budget doesn’t cover.

With a heavy portion of the district’s budget — 83 percent, according to Wayne Lindberg, BSD director of finance and operations — allocated for staff salaries, and a significant amount of the remaining 17 percent going toward in-class materials like textbooks, there simply isn’t enough money left over to cover the entire costs of running a football program.

“It is probably the most expensive sport to put on, yet, it’s one of the most popular,” Boynton said.

Last year the BFBC raised enough money to purchase new uniforms for the varsity team, send players to summer camps and purchase an Apex video system, with enough left to feed players on game day and cover other costs.

The Apex video system, Gillam said, allowed his coaching staff to review film more efficiently, giving his players a taste of what film sessions are like in college and professional sports.

“It’s neat, neat (tool) that brings football coaching into the 21st century,” he said.

And while the BFBC provides monetary support to Bremerton football, primarily at the high school level, it also works to bring parents, players and the city together through football.

“It’s a neat deal, it goes beyond making money,” BHS football coach Nate Gillam said of the non-profit Booster Club, run by parent volunteers.

“It gives parents a connection to their player in a positive way,” Gillam added. “They can all be involved.”

Gillam said the Booster Club and his players, more than anything, want to restore the long-standing, rich tradition that is Bremerton football.

“We are very proud to be Bremerton High School,” he said, reflecting on the city’s history as a gridiron giant.

“We’re trying to remind the public that we are Bremerton High School,” he continued. “We want to make sure the city knows we take that very seriously.”

Spearheaded by BFBC secretary Terri Beliveau, the Mother’s Day Fuchsia’s fund-raiser is a collaboration between parents, players and the entire BFBC.

“The Booster Club has done a great job in making these guys feel important,” Gillam said of his players. “We’re starting to get them (the players) involved.”

The fuchsias for the BFBC are being grown at The Brothers Greenhouses, Beliveau said, and cost $30 per basket. Checks should be made payable to “Bremerton Booster Football Club.”

Those interested in ordering a fuchsia basket are encouraged to contact Beliveau at (360) 440-0424 or (360) 377-6080.

Baskets can be picked up at the following times: 6-9 p.m. on May 2; 3-6 p.m. on May 3; 2-8 p.m. on May 9; and 9-noon on May 10.

All pick-ups are at 6080 Osprey Circle in Bremerton.

More information about the BFBC can be found at www.bremertonfootball.com.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Nov 21
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates