Former Master Chief sentenced to nine months in jail

The Naval Base Kitsap noncommissioned officer who was arrested earlier this year during an Internet sting and charged with soliciting sex with a minor was sentenced Monday to nine months in jail.

The sentence carries with it with the condition that he spend three years in a Special Sexual Offender Sentencing Alternative (SSOSA) program.

Kitsap County Superior Court Judge Leonard Costello imposed the sentence Monday on Edward Eugene Scott, 44, who was arrested on March 16 at a Bremerton motel, where he intended to meet a mother and her minor children for sexual activity.

Instead, he found that his correspondent was an undercover detective.

The Kitsap County Prosecuting Attorney recommended a 90-month sentence, which Deputy Kevin Hall said was in the mid-range of punishment for that particular crime. This was a recommendation Eric Fong, Scott’s attorney, found especially harsh.

“A lot of people who literally raped someone or messed them up get shorter sentences,” Fong said. “It’s not like he is getting off easy. He is doing the right thing and getting treatment.” 

There are several conditions in the SSOSA program. After his release Scott will be forbidden to contact a “900” telephone line, have any contact with a minor outside of the presence of an adult, loiter in any place where children congregate, hitchhike or pick up hitchhikers.

He must also abide by a curfew, submit to regular polygraph and DNA tests and complete a treatment protocol.

Violation of any of these terms could send him into jail for the full 90-month term.

Scott must also contribute $100 to the Kitsap Sexual Assault Center.

Fong expressed satisfaction with Costello’s decision, calling it fair. Hall was disappointed but said that he was satisfied with the ruling.

“He had a lot of people speaking out on his behalf,” Fong said of Scott. “It was an intense hearing. But he really didn’t do anything. All these deviant thoughts were emerging, but he was arrested before he could act on them.”

“At first it was said that he had a chat room issue and was seeking escape through sexual fantasies through his computer,” Hall said. “But his conduct was beyond this. He left the house, bought condoms and showed up at the hotel expecting sex. For us that took it beyond no harm, no foul. It’s as if I raised my fist at you and threw a punch but it didn’t connect. That’s still assault.” 

Scott has been in jail since his arrest and has not sought bail. His full sentence will begin immediately.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Oct 21
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates