- About Us
Storage shed catches fire
Touted by neighbors as a notorious drug house, a storage shed in the yard of the home in the 900 block of Charlotte Avenue in Navy Yard City went up in flames Wednesday just after 11 a.m.
Inside the approximately 400 square-foot unsecured shed were personal items including a couch and a chest with drawers, according to South Kitsap Fire and Rescue duty chief Steve Wright.
When SKFR crews arrived the fire was fully involved and creeping up a nearby tree. About 300 gallons of water were used to extinguish the fire which may have been ignited by candles used by homeless tenants staying in the shed.
The homeowner unsuccessfully tried to douse the flames with a bucket of water prior to the firefighters arrival.
Crews quickly put it out, Wright said.
The Bremerton Fire Department also responded to the fire, but were not needed. Nearby neighbors, including Teresa Romedo who called 911, were not surprised to see the shed on fire and have come to know the house as a problem in the area.
Its just constant, its a constant battle, Romedo said. Theres always fights over there, its a drug house. Ive had it here.
Its a continuous problem, added another neighbor who wished to remain anonymous. We have problems over and over. Fighting, noise, drugs, trash, you name it.