Home

Bremerton Patriot

Back

Neighbors stop fire

March 7, 2013 · 2:28 PM
Comments

Central Kitsap Fire and Rescue responded to a structure fire in the 5700 block of School Street NE in Bremerton at about 6:44 p.m. Monday.

Upon arrival, firefighters observed heavy smoke coming from a motorhome parked under the carport of a single family home. A neighbor was using a garden hose on flames coming from one of the motorhome’s windows.

The fire was quickly extinguished and damage was contained to the motorhome. The homeowners were not home at the time, but returned while crews were on scene.

According to CKFR spokesperson Ileana LiMarzi, a neighbor saw flames coming from the motorhome as she was leaving her house. She alerted another neighbor who was outside and together they opened the garage and retrieved a garden hose. The neighbor, Augie Lujan, kept water on the fire until crews arrived. Lujan stated heavy flames were coming from the window.

The County Fire Marshal was called to the scene and determined that the cause was electrical.

“If the two neighbors had not been observant and acted quickly the fire could have been much more serious with extension to the carport overhang and to the home itself,” LiMarzi said.

CKFR had two engines and one medic unit respond. The Bremerton Fire Department also assisted with an engine and medic unit.

 


Commenting Rules

© Sound Publishing, Inc.
All rights reserved.
Our Titles | Work With Us