Police dog killed chasing suspect

Nearly three years after he lost his beloved canine partner, Buddy, in a shootout at Evergreen Park, Patrol Officer Mike Davis has lost another.

Police believe his K-9 partner K.G., one of two replacements after Buddy was killed in 2001, was drowned by a fleeing suspect in a swampy, wooded area off of Sherman Heights road in Bremerton 8 p.m. Friday.

Kelly Schwartz, 39, was charged Wednesday with harming a police dog and possession of stolen property. He is in jail on $200,000 bail.

Deno Ward, 43, is being charged with attempting to allude and possession of stolen property.

Their trial is scheduled for 9 a.m. Aug. 9.

When Davis arrived on the scene to assist Washington State Patrol Officers in the chase, he set loose K.G. to track the trail of two suspects.

When Davis caught up to his four-legged partner he found him lying lifeless in the water, and performed CPR to revive him.

The dog spent the night in an animal hospital, but died the next day.

“It has undoubtedly had an effect on the entire department, especially the officer and his family,” said Police Chief Rob Forbes earlier this week. “We’ve lost a good friend and one of our peers in K.G. this week.”

Just like the old adage “man’s best friend,” the Bremerton Police Department treats their K-9 help as one of their own.

“We all ask ourselves the question why or how could this happen twice in a three year period of time,” Forbes said.

On July 30, 2001, Officer Clay Schultz responded to the Evergreen Park boat launch for a report of shots fired.

Davis approached from the Southern end of the park and spotted the suspects running. He loosed Buddy on them when they refused to stop.

A gun fight ensued between Davis and the suspect Aaron Williams. Williams shot Buddy in the head first and Davis shot Williams, piercing his liver and lung.

Williams was sentenced to nine years in prison on second degree assault, which outraged local law enforcers and members of the community, who thought he should have been given a longer sentence.

After Buddy died, 500 people attempted a funeral service, about 100 of which were police officers from local jurisdictions.

At last Friday’s incident no shots were fired and no other officers were harmed. Davis performed CPR on K.G. by closing the dog’s mouth and breathing into it.

No ceremony date has been set yet for KG, but a memorial was set up until Friday at the wooded pagoda East of City Hall.

“The investigation is going really well,” said Bremerton Police captain Tom Wolfe. “I think he’ll have a hard time making the claims he is making,” he said, referring to the suspect’s explanation of K.G.’s death.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Oct 21
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates