Bremerton woman who died in Christmas Eve fire identified

The Kitsap County Coroner's Office has released the identity of a woman who died in a Christmas Eve fire at the Madrona Estates Apartments on Auto Center Way.

Dora M. Crockett, 78, died of asphyxia due to inhalation of toxic combustible materials, according to Chief Deputy Coroner Tony Stewart. He said the manner of her death has been determined as accidental.

The cause of the fire, which destroyed several units, displaced dozens of residents and led to lasting power outages at the apartments is still under investigation by Bremerton Fire Marshal Mike Six.

When word of the fire and a Red Cross request for help made its way to the Salvation Army, they immediately sprang into action.

Most of the staff had gone home for the day after a visit from Santa and the serving of dinner to more than 200 people, but volunteers immediately began making lunches, collecting blankets and hygiene bags. They also assembled Christmas stockings for everyone displaced by the fire.

Folks that would like to help the fire victims can contact the Red Cross, Salvation Army or visit the "Volunteer in Bremerton" Facebook page.


We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Read the Oct 28
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates