Three injured in U.S. Marshals arrest of gun store burglary suspect in Bremerton

Patrick Weldon Nelson, 40, along with a female companion were taken into custody today about 5 p.m. by U.S. Marshals in Forest Ridge Park in Bremerton. During the arrest, police say preliminary information indicates that one of the vehicles being driven by the U.S. Marshals was rammed by the suspects, and shots were subsequently fired at the vehicle in which Nelson was located.

Preliminary information from police indicates that U.S. Marshals were attempting to effect the arrest of Nelson, who is wanted by the Kitsap County Sheriff’s Office in relation to a gun store burglary occurring in Gorst some weeks earlier. Police say Nelson was apparently seated in the passenger side of an SUV in a lot in the park, while a female was in the driver’s seat. When Marshals effected the arrest, the female driver rammed a vehicle in which Marshals were located, apparently at high speed, based on the significant damage to the Marshal’s vehicle.

In response to the vehicle being rammed, US Marshals fired at the suspect vehicle an unknown number of times, Bremerton police said. Both Nelson and the female were taken into custody. Both had possible injuries related to the crash, but police say there are no indications at this time that either were struck by gunfire. One US Marshal was taken to the hospital for injuries also related to the crash. No other US Marshals were injured.

Bremerton police, Bremerton fire, and Kitsap County Sheriff’s Office personnel responded to the scene. The suspects are under guard and will be checked at the hospital before being jailed for numerous charges.  Detectives from the Bremerton Police Department, Washington State Patrol, and the Kitsap Critical Incident Response Team (KCIRT) will conduct an investigation, which is standard procedure for these types of incidents.

“Nelson has been a priority target of the Kitsap County Sheriff's Office, and I thank the US Marshals for their diligence and excellent work getting him into custody,” said Bremerton Police Chief Steve Strachan.

"Today’s incident shows how desperate and dangerous this man and his female partner were, and I am very gratified that no law enforcement officers or residents were hurt,” Strachan added.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Read the Oct 21
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates