News

Jack-o-lantern sparks East Bremerton blaze

A jack-o-lantern sparked a fire at an East Bremerton apartment complex Nov. 1, according to Central Kitsap Fire & Rescue.

The pumpkin was sitting at a front entryway at the Griffin Glen Apartments on Mariah Lane in East Bremerton when the candle inside it burned through the building’s siding and caught fire around 1:30 a.m.

Fire crews responded and found heavy smoke coming from the second floor and numerous residents had evacuated the building, according to CKFR. A resident had extinguished the blaze before firefighters arrived.

CKFR crews pulled down siding in search of hot spots.

CKFR estimates the damage to be $3,500. There was possible smoke damage to four apartments, with three tenants displaced.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Dec 12
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates