Four displaced, one dog dead after Bremerton house fire

Four Bremerton residents are in Red Cross care and a family dog died after an East Bremerton blaze destroyed one unit of a duplex.

The Bremerton Fire Department responded to an accidental kitchen fire in the 100 block of Acorn Street at about 6:15 p.m. and took about 40 minutes to knock down the flames. Firefighters had difficulty reaching certain areas of the duplex, the Bremerton Fire Department said.

The three people living in the unit evacuated with a dog, but another dog died. The single resident who lived in the other half also escaped. The fire inflicted $75,000 of damage on the destroyed unit, with only water and smoke damage to the other side.

The fire started when residents were heating oil on the stove, the Bremerton Fire Department said.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Oct 21
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates